The world’s energy systems are changing. Renewable energy has moved from a niche technology to broad-scale adoption in many countries around the globe. While this is creating tremendous opportunities for clean development, power systems face numerous systemic challenges: there is a pressing need to expand and enhance power grids, to reform regulatory and market structures, and to effectively manage structural change.
This is where Agora Energiewende helps: we develop evidence-based strategies for ensuring the success of the clean energy transitions around the globe. As an independent and non-partisan thinktank we share knowledge with stakeholders in the worlds of politics, business, and academia while enabling a productive exchange of ideas.
To join the international team, we are seeking to hire at the earliest possible starting date a:
Project Lead Coal Regions Just Transition (f/m/d)
Due to the international outreach it is possible to fill this position either in our Bangkok OR Berlin-Office, Full-time or part-time
In this role you will work on a wide array of different international projects worldwide. You will hold a bridge function focusing on how to achieve Just Transition on the ground and how to implement economical, regional development after a coal phase-out. Due to the variety of the projects Agora Energiewende is working on, this position could either be based in our offices in Berlin or in Bangkok.
Your responsibilities include
- Working with Agora Energiewende’s coal transition team, and with our international partner think tank network to develop and support policy research and stakeholder engagement on the just energy transition in coal regions, in particular regarding proposals on how clean energy can replace coal in regional economies and can provide new job opportunities for coal communities;
- Developing an enlarged strategy for how Agora Energiewende can engage with stakeholders, especially in emerging economies worldwide (China, N.E. Asia, S.E. Asia, EMEA, South Africa, LatAm) about deep decarbonisation, net-zero targets, and climate neutral and green deal policies;
- Liaising with other expert colleagues to facilitate their contributions to coal transition projects and knowledge sharing;
- Contributing to team discussions on strategy questions;
- Working with Agora Energiewende’s coal, international, and administrative teams to ensure the smooth running of daily project work and forward planning, including with team members working from Berlin, Bangkok, Beijing, and Brussels; and
- From time to time, working with senior team members and Agora Energiewende’s financial team to prepare major grant proposals, track project schedules with the project teams both at Agora and among our international partners, and grant reporting.
We are looking for
- A proven track record and field of senior expertise in regional government or in the coal business sector or with a coal or clean energy economy interest group (e.g.: a trade union, business association, local economic development agency) or in research on coal communities and stakeholders;
- A strong commitment to climate action and to social justice;
- Strong networking skills and the ability to navigate in a complex multicultural and multi-stakeholder environment;
- Ability to guide complex analytic research and to write high quality documents;
- Capability to represent Agora at a senior level toward thinktank partners, governments, and diverse stakeholders;
- A confident, calm, practical and entrepreneurial outlook, with openness to working on diverse challenges and topics;
- Working fluency in English; other language skills are a plus and
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- An opportunity to work in a mission-driven, highly motivated and professional team;
- A comfortable office space in a central Bangkok OR Berlin location, also a good work-from-home set-up;
- Diverse experiences including professional relationships with colleagues and visitors from a variety of countries around the globe;
- Opportunities for professional growth and advancement and
- Full-time or part-time role with an employment contract initially limited to two years; and
- We welcome applications from semi-retired senior experts who wish to work on enabling the energy transition.
Please upload your application in one single file following the given cloudlink.
The deadline for applications is 8 August 2021.
As file name please use „ PL Coal Regions Just Transition Surname Name”. Please include a letter of motivation and your CV. For reasons of objectivity we would like to ask you not to include an application photo.
Should you have any questions, please contact: Sandy Rosenhauer (firstname.lastname@example.org).